[ros-dev] Status report on Remote Desktop client - with screenshots!

Michele Cicciotti mc at khamsa.ch
Mon Jul 10 02:31:24 CEST 2006

I opted for a different porting strategy than I originally thought. I
simply couldn't work effectively outside of Visual Studio, so I decided
to create a test application (rdesktop-core-tester), and turn the
smallest subset possible of rdesktop into a statically-linked library
(rdesktop-core). It needs a lot more work, but the results are very
encouraging

Here is the first screenshot *ever* of rdesktop running on pure Win32:

<http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whohoo3ts.png>

What's wrong with this picture, and why? All text is missing: text
output in RDP is tedious. I'll rip the code off from the X11 version,
but it's not vital for now. All bitmaps are black: this is a bug, or
rather a peculiarity, of rdesktop, which passes only part of raster
operation codes (specifically, the "source" mask), forcing me to do some
bit-juggling to turn them back into valid GDI raster operation codes -
just passing the "mutilated" code resulted in the code for the BLACKNESS
operation every time, and I think it shows. "Shut down..." is upside
down: this is a bitmap painted directly to the screen, without a raster
operation, so it worked out of the box, unlike the Windows logo in the
upper half of the dialog. It turns out RDP bitmaps are top-down, like
the framebuffer but unlike regular bitmaps. Easily solved by creating
all bitmaps with negative heights!

Also, I could not go further than this point at the time, because
keyboard input wasn't hooked up yet! I whipped up some quick support
(very easy, just pass the scancodes on the wire), and of course fixed
the aforementioned issues, tweaked a couple more things, blind-typed the
password (no text output) and...

<http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meh9ct.png>

... eh. I expected a lot better. So many bugs. And I really don't
understand why the strange "tile" effect... debugging drawing routines
is a pain, let me tell you. I would love to have a night-time bug-hunt,
but I have some *terrible* back pain, and it's becoming really hard to
sit at my desk

All in all, I must say I'm a bit disappointed that the rdesktop authors,
who in general stayed true to the Win32 equivalents of RDP features,
here and there placed annoying little idiosyncracies - like mutilating
rasterops, or using their own structures instead of the "standard"
LOGPEN, LOGBRUSH, etc. or calculating and passing around coordinates of
left-top + dimensions when they're actually RECTs on the wire, forcing
me to recalculate the RECT, and so on, and so on - that I *know* are
going to cause me headaches in the days to come (the off-by-one-pixel
bug must be caused by something like that)

Well, that's all for this week! see you soon!