[ros-dev] Wine libs vendor import

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at studiocerebral.com
Mon Jun 12 23:20:26 CEST 2006

I'm answering to ros-dev so all developers could share their point of
view (Klemens' original email is attached below).

As I basically outlined in an irc conversation, there are 3 possible
ways for us to sync with the Wine project:
1) Do manual syncs (the current way), keeping their code in our tree,
building with our build system
2) Do auto-import of their source code into our tree, plus
automatically detect changes in their build files and propogate them
to our .rbuild files
3) Do binary-syncing of the dlls which are free from reactos and wine
hacks, and do manual syncs for dlls which are forked (like setupapi
which is better implemented, directx dlls which are partly shared and
partly implemented differently, etc).

However, it was not possible to easily come to a solution what to do.
I will give a small overview of all ways:
1) We lag behind, providing outdated, featureless and buggy version
of dlls. And even more, we depend on dlls bugs, reactos hacks in
them. Syncing them requires time and constant efforts.
 From the good side we have absolute control over the libraries - we
can enable/disable debug messages, build them for different
architectures, optimize for different CPUs etc
2) This could sound like an ideal way, because it keeps advantages of
1. plus removing disadvantages of having to waste time doing syncs.
However conversion from Wine's build system makefiles to ReactOS's
build system .rbuild isn't trivial. Plus developing an auto-syncer
between Cvs/Git and our SVN doesn't look like an easy task too.
3) Reduces compilation time, however wine dlls are built on another
server, and just downloaded during build process (or kept in SVN
server in binary form). It'd be needed to adjust building mechanism
to be able to produce other platform binaries. Updates will be
"heavy" (but initial download smaller).

I'm listening to your (all ReactOS and Wine devs) comments, and
probably I will write answers to Klemens' email later.

WBR,
Aleksey Bragin.