[ros-dev] SESSION_5 BSOD

James Tabor jimtabor at adsl-64-217-116-74.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
Wed Jun 14 05:13:58 CEST 2006

Hi!
Alex Ionescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Annoyed by the ever-growing blame on my patches as well as the
> continuing lack of attention regarding the SESSION_5 BSOD, I've taken
> the liberty to momentarily put on hold my current paid work and take a
> look at the issue (which thankfully only took 30 minutes).

Thank you for fixing it! 8^)

> As I suspected, it has absolutely nothing to do with any Ob stuff and is
> the result of ntdll being messed up after the recent changes to
> lib\intrlck. Revert them, clean interlck/ntdll, rebuild, and voila,
> you're back to a working ROS.
>
> In defense to Hervé, you actually need to clean *TWICE*. That's right,
> you must write:
> make intrlck_clean && make intrlck_clean & make ntdll_clean & make
> ntdll_install.
>
> It is *NOT* enough to merely write ntdll_clean, either.
>
> I'm going to assume that Hervé only cleaned interlck once (as anyone
> would normally do) and kept using the "correct" library. As soon as he
> (and others) built a new copy of the tree (probably around one of my
> patches), the interlck lib now got cleaned twice and the broken one
> started coming into use. Score one for my complaints against rbuild.

Yeah!

> If I could give some advice, next time, spend less time assigning blame
> on me, and actually try to find the bug (yes, this sounds arrogant, but
> it DOES get annoying to be the poster boy for boot BSODs. The last one I
> caused was over 12 months ago).
>
> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu

BTW I'm getting this;
(base/system/winlogon/winlogon.c:173) WL: Failed to create lsass notification ev
ent
(base/system/winlogon/winlogon.c:563) WL: Failed to start LSASS (0xA1)
(base/system/winlogon/winlogon.c:764) WL-Status: ReactOS is starting up...

I revert patch to boot/bootdata/hivesft.inf revision 21336 back to
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\ReactOS\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","StartLsass",0x00010001,0x00000000

Now;
(base/system/winlogon/winlogon.c:568) WL: StartProcess() failed!
(base/system/winlogon/winlogon.c:764) WL-Status: ReactOS is starting up...

I can get through the first stage boot up. Now the second stage is a problem,,,
post later.

Thanks,
James