[ros-dev] Regarding new rbuild module type "ElfExecutable"

Marc Piulachs marc.piulachs at codexchange.net
Fri Sep 7 13:31:56 CEST 2007

You are absolutely right, we have to try to avoid using particular or
concrete information about the build process on .rbuild files and abstract
the maximum possible data. The .rbuild files at the end should be only
metadata that describes the source code. With this information plus the
context (Environment + Project) rbuild can guess most of the concrete
information needed to generate the appropriate makefile.

Regarding the "ElfExecutable" module type IMHO it's not correct because it
does not describe a generic module type .It's a concrete solution for a
particular problem. If what "ElfExecutable" really does is create a ppc
compatible bootloader version you should modify "MingBootLoaderModuleHandle"
to accommodate it using an architecture switch as you suggested and even
introducing a new attribute, tag or condition if necessary but not a new
module type.

>From my point of view the main problem with rbuild is that there isn't any
responsible of the subproject. When a developer needs a particular feature
he just implements it in its on way which is fine but rbuild is a more or
less complex piece of software that needs to be known what leads to
copy-paste code, inconsistencies and really FULL of hacks .It is becoming
unmaintainable and sooner or later most parts of it will have to be
rewriteen.

One small criticism though I would like to actively work on improving rbuild
but it's a little discouraging because the patches send to bugzilla usually
takes days or even weeks to be applied what leads to merge conflicts if you
keep modifying your working copy. I think other developers feel like me.
Reactos would get a lot more contributions if the patch reviewing process
was faster.

Marc,