[ros-dev] Documentation

Timo Kreuzer timo.kreuzer at web.de
Fri Sep 21 01:02:29 CEST 2007

Colin Finck schrieb:
>> Maybe we should add a
>> tech-wiki or something where this stuff could go.
>>

> In my opinion, this is a great idea. But this technical Wiki should really
> be separated from our current Wiki.
> The easiest way to do this would be using pseudo directories like we already
> do for separating the languages. ("De/", "Fr/", ...)

I would vote for a real seperation. It might be a little work to set it
up, but I think it's worth it. If we simply used "/tech" or something it
would result in our wiki being even more messed up ;-) And searching
would always be done in both the normal wiki and the tech-wiki, which I
think is not so good.

> But first I'd recommend doing a cleanup of the existing Wiki.

I agree, it could need some love. Now that we have a bugzilla
maintainer, what about a website content maintainer?

> For program documentation, I would go for using CHM files. They are easy to
> use, the help layout is consistent and viewing CHM files is a part that we
> have to implement anyway somewhen.
> But this also requires setting up a system for creating the documentation
> files. If we need to reimplement DocBook and friends for Win32, this would
> most-probably result in a huge amount of work, for which no one has time for
> :-(

We could import hhm from wine. But afaik it only creates the archive,
not the internal files. So we would need to write a program that
generates the internal files from the hhp, hhc and hhk files. They are
well documented. Or we wait until wine has finished that stuff.

Timo