[ros-dev] rbuild and HALs module optimization

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Fri Sep 21 19:17:54 CEST 2007

David, what does a kernel-dev have to do with rbuild?
Also, recent massive commits to the rbuild itself, and to
various .rbuild files hardly prove your "rbuild is an umaintained
piece of ... stuff" theory. It's, by the least measure, offensive to
Herve's (and there were a few different patches submitted by various
authors submitted) work he's been doing with rbuild.

Or what is a "maintained rbuild", by your definition? How more should
it be maintained? Note: not improved (we have a number of
improvements pending to be implemented in it), but *maintained*.

Another thing is completely wrong and counter-productive: irc is a
wrong place for such question, since not all devs are there all the
time.

Now, back to the actual question.
The biggest difference between ntoskrnl and HAL is that the first is
as machine-independent as possible (still including some dependent
code, but it's conditionally included), while the latter is actually
very hardware dependent, so it does not make sense to unite x86 and
PowerPC HALs, because they are going to contain just simply different
source code.

With the best regards,
Aleksey Bragin.