[ros-dev] rbuild and HALs module optimization

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:48:24 CEST 2007

Aleksey Bragin schrieb:
> David, what does a kernel-dev have to do with rbuild?
I just guessed that as HAL is very near to the kernel, it would be
maintained by a kernel-dev, who could answer in detail, why we have
certain different hals (I'm referring to differenciating between
x86-generic, x86-xbox etc., not between x86 and PPC).
> Also, recent massive commits to the rbuild itself, and to
> various .rbuild files hardly prove your "rbuild is an umaintained
> piece of ... stuff" theory. It's, by the least measure, offensive to
> Herve's (and there were a few different patches submitted by various
> authors submitted) work he's been doing with rbuild.
I surely noticed him working there, that's why I said he might have an
oppinion on that matter.

> Or what is a "maintained rbuild", by your definition? How more should
> it be maintained? Note: not improved (we have a number of
> improvements pending to be implemented in it), but *maintained*.
Well for me, a maintainer is the one who cares about that piece of code,
integrates patches, implements features, cleans up and so on and can be
contacted regarding that piece of code, even if he isn't currently
working on it. As I stated above I noticed Herve working in there, but
it didn't look like he was the new maintainer, more like he was doing
some stuff that just had to be done to keep rbuild working (I don't want
to disregard that work, I know that it was quite a lot he did in there
recently).
But good to know rbuild has a maintainer.

> Another thing is completely wrong and counter-productive: irc is a
> wrong place for such question, since not all devs are there all the
> time.
I didn't want to keep him from posting here, but I know devs tend to
have way to less time, so you sometimes have to make them aware of
something.

Sorry for mixing up just about everything in my first mail...