[ros-dev] when will I return Magnus Olsen aka GreatLord

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Wed Jun 18 22:33:41 CEST 2008

It's still misunderstood by many people, and proposed as drama in
this mailing list by Magnus. As I told already, the situation is this:
1. Magnus' commits must be *at least* spellchecked, both commit
messages (tortoisesvn log message embedded spellchecker seems to not
be enough for him), and the code itself, from two points, comments,
and actual code, some times, too. This is not because I don't like
him, it's because of his specific feature.
2. I proposed to do this *myself*, thus investing my own time to help
Magnus, because after all, he's my friend, as a human, not as a coder.
3. This usually worked, but the problem is that I wanted this to
happen before commits enter trunk, and not after, when I was forced
to do this putting away all my other things and regresstest and fix
his commits ASAP, because people seem to be very pissed when trunk is
in broken stage.
4. Completely ignoring my kind requests for 2 years in a row (not all
of them, revert wars stopped after my complaints).

Also, you showed a bit of recent statistics. To be fair, Magnus and
Colin actually fixed the AbiWord crt regression, and I was guilty in
another CRT breakage too.
If you look into history of his and surrounding commits (total of
2080 commits - only w3seek and ekohl have higher number of commits),
what I wanted to change, is his development method (just as a recent
example for now):
1. Spot some bug
2. Add some NULL checks here and there, reformat code so it looks
better to him
3. Commit
4. Test
5. Problems revealed, add more checks, in fact introduce good
changes, fix something else, reformat more code.
6. Commit.
7. Test.
8. Fix other revealed problems. Also fix an untested code path.
9. Commit.
10. Listen to fireballs complaints in the morning, discuss with him,
clear up the code, remove unneeded NULLs check, add checks where they
are really needed.
11. Get fireball to test the changes, then commit.

All of this results usually in 10 or 15 commits in a bunch, with a
hard to follow commit messsages. Yes, the end result is good - bug is
fixed. But with 1 bug fixed, usually more than 1 new bug is
introduced. This is what I wanted to get rid of.

Another problem was in the past, thankfully Magnus listened to me,
and we found common agreement. It was this way:
1. Magnus noticed a winesync somewhere in win32k, user32, gdi32 done
by some other person than me or Jim (e.g. by janderwald).
2. He reverted the change, even if it was good with an embarassing
commit message "wine is shit, don't sync with it".
3. The offended develeper left this field, and we are now stuck with
stoneage wine code in kernel32 and win32 subsystem, getting us huge
amount of bugs.

And to answer your last question, no, I hate loosing people, and I
did not intend to leave. But can you tolerate other people going away
due to this (those mistakes by greatlrd) problem?
Or rephrasing, if Magnus's work is fun for him, can you tolerate that
it makes other people's work not fun anymore?
I don't, so I had to enforce this, maybe temporary, maybe not, but I
had to solve this situation, as a person, responsible (I don't have
any privileges in return for "project coordinator" position :) ) for
the general direction of this project.

But, to sum up, thanks for your opinion and your support of Magnus.
Trust me, we are friends, and I hate that I had to take this steps.
Hopefully we can find a way to make Magnus work fun again. And no, I
don't intend to introduce any restrictions, or direct someone what to
do without backing up commercially, so it's still based on fun,
always have been, and will always, hopefully, be.

WBR,
Aleksey Bragin.