[ros-dev] when will I return Magnus Olsen aka GreatLord

KJK::Hyperion hackbunny at reactos.com
Thu Jun 19 12:49:58 CEST 2008

Alex Ionescu ha scritto:
> Man, I wonder where you guys were when I was getting shit for breaking
> the kernel due to *valid* changes.... and cooperating.

I was in the channel arguing that you were valuable enough to overlook
the occasional breakage streaks. I wasn't the asshole I am today, or I
would have done more than just suggest that, whisper whisper, if you
keep this up, Alex might just... maybe... you know... AHEM AHEM leave
AHEM AHEM

> Both greatlord and I were massive regressors, but also massive
> changers... that doesn't make it RIGHT though. It was probably wrong
> even during my time... I can't get away by saying "ah yes, but my
> changes were correct!!!!"

I dreaded the idea of you leaving in the middle of your activity peak.
There are better ways, I'd wager, to channel a skilled developer's
enthusiasm than whips and reins

> FIX YOUR DEVELOPMENT MODEL.

Magnus is being singled out as a guinea pig for the new development
model, as a way to make up for past wrongs (or because Aleksey had a bad
day). I can't accept this, it's arbitrary and uncomfortable. I'd leave
too in this situation

The standards for trunk quality are too arbitrary. All developers should
have trunk rights nevertheless, for emergency fixes, but there must be
standards. A checklist. Automated regression testing and continuous
integration, because not everyone can test changes on all supported
build and runtime environments