[ros-dev] Using git for all ros source as main revision control

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 12:52:59 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Alexey Komarov <q4a at bk.ru> wrote:

> I'm using git on XP with TortoiseGit (
> http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ ) and it's work perfectly. I am
> not vote to use DVCS. I very like idea to using SHA-1 hash for identify
> objects (and revisions). I never use Mercurial, but as i know, it also
> using SHA-1 hash.. Perhaps Mercurial or Bazaar is better, then Git for
> ros, but i'm sure that, git is much better for ros, than svn.
>
> King InuYasha wrote:
> > No BLOODY WAY! Git is a pain to use and the tortoise extensions have
> > some serious performance problems when dealing with large
> > repositories. If we are going to DVCS, go to Mercurial, at least that
> > one supports Windows and offers all the same advantages of Git, albeit
> > not at as high of a performance gain as Git because of it being cross
> > platform and not using POSIX features to heavily optimize it. It's
> > still good. In fact, I use Mercurial to check out the latest revisions
> > of ReactOS because SVN has a horrible problem of locking up my
> > computer for hours on end before actually downloading the repository.
> >
> > Also, even though Git has come a long way, its not quite as easy to
> > use as Mercurial. And if anyone suggest Bazaar, I have one thing to
> > say: Slow Interpreted Performance. It could be better, but it isn't.
> >
> > If ReactOS's target was UNIX systems, then Git would be okay. But this
> > is a Windows reimplementation. That implies Windows users.

If you can only offer TortoiseGit for native use, then I'm not sold. Because
of the performance problems I experience with it, and the fact I prefer the
command line clients over the Tortoise extensions, Git will never be a
choice of mine. I suspect there are others that prefer the command line
client over the Tortoise extensions as well.