[ros-dev] Some upcoming changes

Colin Finck mail at colinfinck.de
Sun Aug 16 01:17:10 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I just wanted to announce some upcoming changes. Comments are appreciated.

Official removal of i486 support
---------------------------------
The Mingw-w64 project held an internal meeting today. One of the decisions
was to remove support for architectures older than i586 from their code.
As we already use some of their runtime code and loosely planned to switch
to a mingw-w64 x86/x64 multilib toolchain once that is released and stable
(which should be the case in gcc 4.5.x), we will be affected by this change,
too.

Of course, the Mingw-w64 code would just add another problem to the pot of
i486 incompatibilities.
For example, some of our assembly code makes use of the CMPXCHG8B
instruction (introduced in the Pentium).

Though I don't know anybody, who tried a recent ReactOS build on an i486
machine, I also never found a statement about the official removal of i486
support.
So as long as nobody objects, let's officially declare i486 support
abandoned now.

ISO cleaning on iso.reactos.org
--------------------------------
As we were right before running out of space on the ISO storage server (in
fact, that would have happened when Aleksey was on his planned holiday trip
:D), I've installed a script to clean old ISOs automatically now.
The script will remove bootcd-dbg ISOs older than 2 years and all other ISOs
older than half a year. This should free enough space while keeping enough
important ISOs for tracking down old regressions.

Testman log cleaning
Another service that takes more space than you might think is Testman. Logs
for ~1300 revisions currently take around 2 GB.
My plan would be to delete logs (not the actual test result numbers) older
than half a year to keep the used space for them on an almost constant
level. If nobody objects, such a script will be installed in the upcoming
days.

Best regards,

Colin