[ros-dev] Some upcoming changes

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 05:16:48 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Alex Ionescu<ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> How about archiving the older logs in a format that may be a one-time
> CPU expense, but never have to worry about uncompressing? Ie: I don't
> want really old logs accessible through the UI, but just available by
> developer request.

I think keeping this data around is a good idea. Besides the technical
reference reasons a given developer might have, I think there is a
good case that can be made via the evolution of conformance in a legal
sense. Let's say vendor comes along and says 'this code is stolen,
reversed, whatever', we've not only got the code in revision history
but we've got a clear example of how 'original' and non-compliant
large parts of the system were and how the evolved. Its kind of like
saying 'if there is tainted code somewhere, then why the hell is the
system not perfect by now'. We would be able to point to another
source of history showing its evolution to perfection.

--
Steven Edwards