[ros-dev] GCC 4.4

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 26 07:24:09 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 25-Aug-09, at 12:48 PM, Dmitry Gorbachev wrote:

>> Overwriting constant strings is a very real error and should be
>> fixed.
>> Code like this would crash in Windows, for example.
>
> These warnings do not mean overwriting, simply passing a string
> constant to a function which takes char *; a potential, not
> necessarily a real error. It is allowed in C, not in C++.

So they still deserve fixing :)

> Of course, it would be good to check all warnings, some can be bugs.
> Not all useful warnings are included in -Wall. It may be worth to
> activate more.
>
> But warnings should not deter from adoption of GCC 4.4.

I agree, but switching compilers is a great time to fix some warnings.
It would take less then a day to fix the ones present today.

>> So as I said, ReactOS need an in-tree version of libgcc with proper
>> support for __enable_execute_stack for kernel-mode.
>
> It is not needed in user-mode, too. Nested functions are only used by
> PSEH2, and it works well without __enable_execute_stack()

Sure, but that's not the only reason why an in-tree libgcc is a good
idea.

Is your GCC 4.4 built on Windows or Linux? If Windows, perhaps it
could become part of RosBE -- they have not been able to figure out
how to build the compiler, hence my idea to use the MinGW binaries.