[ros-dev] Open-source and newcomers

Alex care2debug at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 17:00:28 CEST 2009

Hello all,

Open-source and newcomers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been here for 2 weeks already and I want to share some thoughts
from the point of view of a newcomer.

I want to make a claim as an axiom and see where it goes from there.
If you don't agree with the axiom you should probably read something
on ethology and group behavior.

I beg you to be open-minded.

--

So the axiom is:

  "A closed group of humans (and many other social animals) usually
  is emotionally and irrationally unfriendly to newcomers, due to
  the evolutionary baggage we all share."

The group assumes a hostile position to a newcomer. Many members don't
realize what is going on. It simply feels like: "I just hate this guy!"

Members, of course, feel special and somewhat better, just because
they are part of the group. They see newcomers as not-worthy to some
extent, just because the newcomer is not in the group. They see the
newcomer as an alien and – as a threat. Subconsciously. Don't bother
to reply and tell me that I am not-worthy to be seen as a threat :)

The general feeling is "Who the f#ck he thinks he is? He's not from
our group, he is not one of us (he didn't do anything to our project
yet). Blah-blah-blah... I just hate this guy!". This irrational hate
is very tangible, believe me. It is very de-motivational. (And I
probably shouldn't have reacted the way I did to some of it, but, hey,
I am no Jesus Christ, and it's only now that I've sorted those things
out for myself).

But you can say: Hey, we are not hostile, because:

 - "I, personally, entered the group in the past and it was Ok."
 - "Look at that guy and that guy – we were soooo nice to them!"

Let's see... When can a closed group readily accept a newcomer?
When it doesn't perceive him as a threat.

This means the newcomer must come in a very submissive pose and
exhibit not a slightest sign of aggressive attitude. Actually, the
more you cry for mercy, the more chances are that you will be easily
accepted into the group. Broken leg or being a total looser may help,
as compassion will start to overtake the initial hostility.

The "pose" on the text-based Internet is mainly how one talks.
This is an example of a submissive pose:

"Oh, Great Lords, you are so cool and I am not worthy. I beg you to
let me develop for ReactOS, I am not much, but I will dutifully learn
from you, Wise Masters, I will catch every word you say and ignore any
insults you will throw my way. I will not criticize you in any way.
I will do all the shitty tasks silently and obediently for several years
until I slowly climb your social ladder. I will not complain of being
called stupid and not-worthy 'cause that's who I am..."

And so it goes... An ass-kisser, to be short.

And then the Wise Great Masters will generously allow this no-worthy
worm into their Temple.

This happens everywhere. Just take a closer look.

--

But this constitutes a problem. The group acts as a filter that favors
the wrong kind of people.

Because a good developer, after all, is usually opinionated, criticizes
what he thinks is wrong, doesn't like to be called stupid and be given
insults and shitty tasks. He challenges existing routines and things
the group got used to. He is a threat.

--

Unfortunately, I do not have a solution. I just want to attract your
attention to it.

P.S. You may ask – didn't you think that this hostility is a
consequence of you being a jerk? If being a jerk means not kissing
asses of Great Masters – then yeah, I may be guilty of that.

P.P.S. Before posting a reply, please take a look inside you and try
to see if that reply is based on "I just hate this guy!" :)

Thanks!

 Alex                          mailto:care2debug at gmail.com