[ros-dev] Roadmap I'm sticking to

victor martinez vicmarcal at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 20:27:02 CEST 2010

Hi,
Well..I have been here just for a year and a half, and it is pretty obvious that we are not following any "direction" to achieve something in common.We are making progress in our own,sometimes without telling to the others and sometimes introducing regressions 1week before a release thanks to a critical rewrite. Or We are disappearing without telling to anyone.
We==Testers&&Developers&&Translators&&Designers&&TheCommunity.
I will use this email to state,mainly, that i want to be part of a team with an objective, so i offer all my testing help (including those parts i hate to test) to achieve a common goal.I offer my Testing time as Real Testing time and not as a Hobbie.
Maybe we should try to discuss how to reach that goal,and decide(all of us) which is the best way to have something working. I dont know if the correct approach is called Arwinss,Yarotows,WTF!(Want To Finish!) or whatever.The real approach is the final User. And the final User "demands" a workable OS asap.We are making this as a hobbie, but also trying to give a product to the mass(I hope).
We are not acting as a Community,neither me.
The time to find a way has arrived imo.It´s quite discouraging finding this mess. Discouraging for testers and Discouraging for Devs. In the latest half year we have lost some Testers because lack of motivation.And it is called "Road to Nowhere". Devs arrives to ReactOS Project and they seem to leave quite easy,why?.
I hope this time we can all sit and try to find a real solution,deciding which is the Goal (a Hobbie,an OS?),which is the way(comfortable?difficult?no way?hiring internal devs?hiring external devs?knocking sponsors doors?),and which things are needed to complete it(money?motivation?a Bugzilla Testing Week?a RSOC(ReactOS Summer Of Code)?).
Summing up, finding a WHOLE solution to this project called ReactOS.

I think it is not just matter of a Roadmap.
No having a Roadmap(or Milestones) is just the result, not the root of the problems.

Thanks for the 3 minutes.