[ros-dev] msvc build update

Jose Catena jc1 at diwaves.com
Wed Feb 3 11:18:59 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm being asked about the msvc build and decided to answer in the list to
keep you all informed on the status.

Today I submitted a non working update to my branch:

svn://svn.reactos.org/reactos/branches/jcatena-branch

useful for reference for those interested in msc builds.

Before I got a svn branch where to commit, I got ntoskrnl built by msvc9 and
booting to desktop,

Based on build 44678. This is not synchable with svn, but I have put it in
my server if someone wants to take a look:

ftp://diwaves.com/reactos/ntos_44678_local.zip

After I got a svn branch, I started to make the same happen without changing

so much. Unfortunately this was in the middle of the trap handling rewrite.

This is being done in a really weird, unportable, hackish and unefficient
way,

and I had a lot of problems to have the port booting. Finally, after much
more

work than expected, I got the port working but with some weird temporary

hacking I didn't like, and then wanted to sync with more current version,

only to find that the trap handlers were substantially changed again, in an

even more unportable way. So instead of keep debugging and hacking a code
that

i would pretty much drop at the end, I started rewriting it yesterday and I

expect to have it working in less than a week. This will save efforts at the
end.

Initially I wanted to commit only a working branch, but since it's taking
time

and other devs may benefit from what's done even if it is not complete,

i decided to have the working not synchable version based on 44678 available

at my server, and the non booting svn branch r45369 commited.

I recommend taking a look at platf.h and cpu-c.h, these files contain
platform

and compiler dependent definitions and macros, that make most inline
assembly

and compiler conditionals elsewhere unnecessary.

Hope you find this useful.

Jose Catena

DIGIWAVES S.L.