[ros-dev] Request for a project
aleksey at reactos.org
Sat Jan 16 14:32:17 CET 2010
- Windows 2003-compatible USB drivers stack, or any part of it. Host
controller is now done by Michael Martin, however HUGE amount of
other parts is not, but can be done in parallel using Win2003 as
development target. Example - HID, mouse, keyboard, audio, storage.
Any of these parts (if implemented against a real Windows 2003 or,
with exceptions, later versions) will be useful
- Windows 2003 or higher compatible storage stack, or any part of it.
Including partition manager, volume manager, controller drivers,
anything. Requires substantial PnP and storage devices knowledge.
- Windows 2003 compatible network stack, or any part of it. Pick what
you like - from lower level NIC drivers, to NDIS, to the intermediate
kernelmode layer, up to usermode Winsock implementation. Everything
could be done and tested in a real Windows installation without the
need to touch ReactOS.
- WiFi support, comes as a standalone task because it needs some
special services and applications to manage WiFi connection,
independent from the network stack. Also, should be modelled after
Windows 2003 or later.
- Implementing ACPI support (driver, testing functionality, etc).
- Improving general usability: Making proper partitioning support in
ReactOS; testing, debugging and finishing the filesystem checker;
- Improving general look&feel: Second stage installation should be
reworked to look modern, not as an OS from 1998.
- Making integration with existing Windows servers possible -
implement SMB sharing support, Active Directory, etc.
- Shell rewrite (finishing explorer_new and all required components,
ash77 is currently working on that though)
- Improving the kernel: writing regression tests for the Native API
- Improving the kernel: writing missing modules (e.g. implementing
Se, Wmi, etc) - requires advanced NT kernel knowledge!
That's for a start. This list doesn't include any Win32 subsystem
related tasks, because I am going to send out a separate email
outlining all issues we have in the Win32 subsystem, how Arwinss
could help solve part of them, what to do with other, etc.
Victor - don't be so critical, not every dev has an overview, and
those who have knowledge about any specific part already commented on
that. Though I agree that when it comes to drama, mailing list
receives tens of messages per day, but when a real issue needs
commenting, everyone is passive.
On Jan 16, 2010, at 3:40 PM, victor martinez wrote:
> Then,Aleksey,as Coordinator,May you suggest any area,or any
> task,that we do really need to have done,and that Sudhir can help in?
More information about the Ros-dev