[ros-dev] [ros-diffs] [evb] 45874: - New Framebuffer (Linear) Display Driver

Ros Arm ros.arm at reactos.org
Wed Mar 10 05:41:12 CET 2010

Hello Steven,

I have talked with eVb and perhaps there is a language barrier:

His commit message said that he used the NT4 DDK driver because the license does not prohibit it (especially as only a fraction of it is used).

He then said that there have been some small number of changes since NT4, obviously, and that he used the Virtual Box Display Driver (available under GPL) to figure out what those changes are.

Since the Virtual Box Display Driver is actually the 2003 DDK driver, some people may have wondered why not use it directly, and eVB is explaining that:

1) He feels very insecure about Virtual Box/Sun claiming that the code is truly "GPL" considering the 2003 DDK does not allow that (unless Microsoft made an exception for Sun -- do note that this code existed before VirtualBox was under Sun, however).

2) There is an additional file, present both in the NT4 DDK version and in the Virtual Box driver that has a very explicit claim that there is a color dithering patent that Microsoft will sue you for unless you work at Microsoft. eVb did not import that file at all in ReactOS, and so we use standard GDI dithering code.

eVb finally notes that the previous (ReactOS) driver was actually an obvious copy of the DDK sample, with variables renamed to hide the truth, but some comments are long and identical in a way that makes it clear what the original source of the driver is. Just like VirtualBox/Sun, the developer of this older ReactOS driver slapped a "GPL 2" license on it, because, it would seem, renaming variables, is the sure way to be okay with a license. (Considering the numerous other such abuses throughout the SVN tree, I'm not surprised). eVb notes that this kind of behavior will land someone in jail one day.

So to summarize:

1) Old ReactOS driver: pretty much copy/pasted and "fixified" DDK driver to hide the evidence, slapped with GPL 2 license.
2) Virtual Box driver: copy/pasted DDK driver slapped with GPL 2 license, including on top of a very threatening statement from Microsoft about their color dithering algorithm.
3) 2003 DDK driver: Cannot be used in open source products under most licenses, cannot be used for non-Windows products.
4) NT4 DDK driver: Free to use and re-license as needed (supposedly), but contains patented code with threatening statement.
5) eVb's driver: NT4 DDK driver, not relicensed to avoid legal unknown waters, and without the patented code present.

For evidence of #1, one can simply compare GetAvailableModes in the current framebuf driver in screen.c, which is listed as "Copyrighted" by a certain "Filip Navara", and followed by a GPL 2 license. You can then check getAvailableModes in screen.c in framebuf_new (with the correct copyright/license of NT4 DDK). You'll note the code is identical down to the comments.

I for one, am thankful that not only is eVb fixing bugs in the graphics subsystem, but also getting you out of legal trouble.

-r