[ros-dev] Open Source Terminal Server

Timo Kreuzer timo.kreuzer at web.de
Wed May 12 14:20:15 CEST 2010

Jan Blomqvist Kinander wrote:
> Hi Developers, I have been aproached by a certain Gonzalo from Colombia, he claims to be a developer who wants to make a Terminal Server Clone, I enclose the mail he sent me, please have a look at it and answer him.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> Jaix Bly

I'll reply here.
> I want to develop a Open Source Terminal Server based in something like VNC and OpenVPN
>
> Opening many sessions in windows is really bad idea ... for kernel stuff and another csrss, smss problems ... terminal server blue screen, black screen, printers, etc ... so i have an idea for a workaround ...
>

> Is open a session using createwinstation api ... in that session, create multiples desktops, using createdesktop api, in each desktop will be secure shell replacement, ejecuted using x user credentials (runas) ... the printing is gonna be universal virtual printers that receive the buffer from the win32, and send the emf or pdf to the client ...

By design, each session can only have one interactive WindowStation,
that is only one WindowStation with keyboard and mouse input. And I
don't see a possibility to work around this limit. It would also limit
resources, such as number of gdi objects. There's a good reason for
sessions as they are, if you see problems in the current NT
implementation, please specify.

> Using Virtual Channels is a pain in the ass ... because they all travel using only one tcp socket ... (really bad idea) so, problems with video, audio, performance, etc ...i think we can use openvpn to connect to only one port (443 to ssl vpn) and after the vpn is connected, we can open many socket (each service) between the client and the server desktop ... so we can send printing, sound, video, etc ...

Remember that ReactOS aims at compatibility with Windows. A terminal
server must be compatible to Windows terminal services.