[ros-dev] Terminal Server Clone

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon May 17 03:35:50 CEST 2010

* Love Nystrom <love.nystrom at gmail.com> schrieb:

Hi folks,

> "Jan Blomqvist Kinander" <jan.blomqvist at reactos.org> wrote:
> >Opening many sessions in windows is really bad idea ... for kernel stuff
> >and another csrss, smss problems ... terminal server blue screen, black
> >screen, printers, etc ... so i have an idea for a workaround ...
> >
> >Is open a session using createwinstation api ... in that session, create
> >multiples desktops, using createdesktop api, in each desktop will be
> >secure shell replacement, ejecuted using x user credentials (runas) ...
> >the printing is gonna be universal virtual printers that receive the
> >buffer from the win32, and send the emf or pdf to the client ...
> >

> Hi Jan & Gonzalo,
>
> I'm no expert in this particular area, but don't You think it would be
> more logical
> to give each remote a winstation, and not just a desktop on a shared
> winstation ?

I'm not a win32 expert (just a GNU guy lurking on this list ;-)),
but my approach would be simply putting the windows workloads into
VMs and giving each user its own VM.

This probably would require more iron, but - assuming we're talking
about an professional/production environment - this should be more
cost-efficient than spending too much manpower into some solution
w/ less iron.

BTW: my current customer (1+1) provides shared win32 hosting as
well as win32 VMs. Maybe you could have a look at it.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/