[ros-dev] Kernel Question

Timo Kreuzer timo.kreuzer at web.de
Sun May 23 23:06:16 CEST 2010

ahmet alper parker wrote:
> Why kindly supply some more technical answer
> instead of joking?

In theory ReactOS ntoskrnl can be loaded by ntldr from Windows 2003.
Together with reactos hal it might actually "boot" (for a low enough
value of boot). You would also need reactos ntdll, as it's specific to
the system calls in the kernel. Next thing is the file system driver,
you will probably not have any luck loading the native ones, due to
missing functionality. Then there is win32k, which on Windows expects to
be loaded in session space, which ReactOS ntoskrnl doesn't support. So
you will be stuck with reactos one, too. Then the rest of the win32
subsystem works differently in reactos then in Windows, loading the
windows one together with reactos win32k is not possible either. This
will affect at least gdi32, user32, csrss and kernel32.dll. So you
already ended up with half of reactos anyway. Furthermore I doubt that
the Windows registry hives - though they could be read - would fit
either our kernel or win32 subsystem very well.

To make it short: No, it won't work, unless you are a highly skilled NT
kernel hacker with lots of spare time.

Regards,
Timo