[ros-dev] Moving /trunk/tools into an own repository

Colin Finck mail at colinfinck.de
Wed Oct 27 20:33:31 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm currently developing two project tools which are going to be used by
the German ReactOS foundation (custom IRC Server and plugin for Jameica
- http://www.willuhn.de/products/jameica/).
They shall be committed into a public ReactOS SVN repository.

Since I believe that these tools are hardly useful for the average
ReactOS developer, I don't want to commit them to our current
/trunk/tools directory in the "reactos" repository. Among other
disadvantages, every commit to them would trigger a useless BuildBot
build, source checkouts would include unnecessary stuff, etc.

As this is generally the case with most of the stuff in /trunk/tools,
I'd like to move everything below this directory and the /irc directory
into a new repository called "project-tools".
We have already done a similar step in the past for the former "web"
directory.

Additionally, the "press-media" directory would be a similar candidate
for an own "press-media" repository. After these steps, our "reactos"
repository would finally contain only OS development related stuff.

For comparison, Wine already keeps its main repository free from
unrelated stuff and has several similar repositories (see
http://source.winehq.org/git/).

If there are no objections to my idea within the next two weeks, I will
proceed and set up "project-tools" and "press-media" repositories
(preserving as much SVN history as possible).

Cheers,

Colin