[ros-dev] HDD Geometry switch

Pierre Schweitzer pierre at reactos.org
Mon Nov 28 12:12:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

I support this demand. Instead of whining, could you check if your
partitions still work with ReactOS?
As far as I know, this should not affect small disks. So, try and
complain after.

Furthermore, I would like to precise that we cannot stay 15 years back
just because the switch is somehow a pain. Everyone may have to recreate
its partitions. You have to understand that we cannot pretend to provide
a modern OS with a deprecated architecture that can hardly leave closely
to other OSes. This is definitely not selfish.

Thanks Eric for helping  bringing ReactOS into a more suitable shape.

Finally, I would like to point that starting a drama is pointless. We
are currently in a critical step in the OS development, we have to work
all together and not fighting one against the others.

So, please test first, and then, depending on your ability to use (or
not) your old partitions with the new geometry, we will see how we can
help you.

Regards,
Pierre

PS: Regarding communication step, nightly builds tester should read what
changed before testing and then be aware of the problem. For release, a
note can be put into the release announcement.
PPS: If ReactOS is still considered as alpha, this is typically for such
cases where a single change can have a real impact on data. We cannot
wait for beta or even stable (not to speak about gold) to apply such
changes.