[ros-dev] PVS-Studio analysis of ReactOS code: error explanations in English

Minas Abrahamyan minas.subs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 01:04:41 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Andrey Karpov of "SiProVer" Ltd (www.viva64.com/ ), the authors of
PVS-Studio, a
statical source code analyzer/checker wrote (in Russian, this
translation is conducted by me):

"Have checked source code of ReactOS with PVS-Studio, I fulfilled
three wishes of mine at once:
  Firstly, for a long time I wanted to write an article about ordinary
project. It
is not so interesting to check source code of such projects as Chromium,
It is of too high quality and resources are spending for keeping this level of
quality, resources which are unavailable to ordinary projects.
  Secondly, ReactOS appears to be a good example of project, for which high
need of statical analysis of source code can be shown, especially as project
being developed with distributed team of developers with diversely
different experience.
  Thirdly, I got confirmation of PVS-Studio getting better and better
and more useful
all along the way..."

 Full text of original Russian article is here:
http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/os/127493/
titled on Russian as "PVS-Studio: analysing ReactOS operating system
source code".

Evgeniy Ryzhkov of "SiProVer" adds:
"Soon we will translate and publish article on English. But if you
have questions now
- we are ready for discussion.
If some of English-speaking comrades of ReactOS would like to work
with errors list,
generated with PVS-Studio we have prepared for them translation of
errors explanations, here it is:
 http://www.viva64.com/external-pictures/txt/PVS-Studio-vs-ReactOS-en-unicode.txt
".

Original article refers to long list of generated errors with manually
added explanations for errors
found by their static checker, so this is translated version of that list.

---
Looking backward to few applied patches, it turns out that not all of
them were absolutely useful,
some patches were reversed, etc. But nevertheless, I think it makes
sense to use this tool. They
promised to donate some version of PVS-Studio to project, and it is to
ROS developers to decide is it worth of taking.

What I would suggest: anybody working with some module or part of code
can take corresponding part
of messages (or in future, possibly check with tool only these parts
of interest) and work with them.
Also Karpov gave good advise to check newly written code, since it is
still of interest to developer:
write and time for time test with it.

P.S. Disclaimer: I am not in any connection with "SiProVer"

Regards,
M.A.