[ros-dev] HP webOS goes opensource

Adam geekdundee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:27:56 UTC 2012

Old, but relevant in today's world. Let's face it... the mainline
kernel is getting huge.

Let's have a look at the update:

> *"One thing that I forgot to mention, but which is critical to the
> success of Linux, is that there really is no such thing as monolithic
> "Linux." Linux is highly modular and can be trimmed down/beefed up to
> fit a wide variety of applications...on the developers' terms, not
> Red Hat's, Novell's, Canonical's, etc. *

"on the *developers'* terms" - this effectively means "on the terms of
who wrote the software" - not "on the user's terms" - so you'll still
get some bloated distros out there. And who says Linux is getting
smaller?

> *So, unlike Windows, which can only be what Microsoft dictates, Linux
> can truly be all things to all people, as "fat" or as "skinny" as the
> developer wants it to be. Ubuntu is obese compared to sub-100 KB
> uClinux distributions, for example. Both serve different, and useful,
> purposes."*

Again, "*as the developer wants it to be*" - And yes, this goes for
Windows too. Microsoft probably wants it to be bloated, so it makes it
bloated.

Though I can agree with "So, unlike Windows, which can only be what
Microsoft dictates, ..." - but bear in mind that when it comes
to Windows then Microsoft is the developer anyway. It's on the
developers' terms.

I'd love to see the kernel uClinux uses... I reckon it's not the
mainline kernel, but a modified version of it. Again... it's up to the
*developer* as the quote above mentioned.

Just go over to http://kernel.org/ - the source code for the Linux
*kernel* in *compressed* form is 74MB plus! And that is compressed by
the way. You'd need to have a very stripped down kernel to the max.
Which would have been fine if it was "highly modular" as it is claimed.

Personally I'm happy seeing ReactOS the way it is going and I think
they're taking the right direction. The last thing ReactOS needs is to
listen to some kid going about some super fantastic UI (or other
Linux-specific feature) present in Linux and attempting to say it should
be in ReactOS as an "improvement" of some sort.