[ros-dev] HP webOS goes opensource

Ameen Ross a.ross at amdev.eu
Wed Jan 18 13:22:59 UTC 2012

Op 18-1-2012 13:27, Adam schreef:
> Old, but relevant in today's world. Let's face it... the mainline
> kernel is getting huge.
Agree, but a good portion of that is actually drivers and many other
things that can easily be left out.

> "on the *developers'* terms" - this effectively means "on the terms of
> who wrote the software" - not "on the user's terms" - so you'll still
> get some bloated distros out there.
If you're running a distro with a kernel too bloated to your tastes you
can switch to a more light-weight distro. Not the case with Windows,
although the question of whether or not that's a good thing is a whole
debate of itself.

> Again, "*as the developer wants it to be*" - And yes, this goes for
> Windows too. Microsoft probably wants it to be bloated, so it makes it
> bloated.
The difference here is that with Windows, Microsoft is the only
developer and with Linux, anyone doing an embedded appliance or a distro
has that freedom.
> Though I can agree with "So, unlike Windows, which can only be what
> Microsoft dictates, ..." - but bear in mind that when it comes
> to Windows then Microsoft is the developer anyway. It's on the
> developers' terms.
...isn't that exactly the point?
> I'd love to see the kernel uClinux uses... I reckon it's not the
> mainline kernel, but a modified version of it. Again... it's up to the
> *developer* as the quote above mentioned.
I'm surprised you've never heard about it. Although it does confirm my
suspision that you didn't thoroughly read the article ;)
Lots of stuff runs uCLinux actually, mostly embedded d.
> Just go over to http://kernel.org/ - the source code for the Linux
> *kernel* in *compressed* form is 74MB plus! And that is compressed by
> the way. You'd need to have a very stripped down kernel to the max.
> Which would have been fine if it was "highly modular" as it is claimed.
Your tone sounds as if you oppose the statement in the article that
Linux is highly modular.

> Personally I'm happy seeing ReactOS the way it is going and I think
> they're taking the right direction. The last thing ReactOS needs is to
> listen to some kid going about some super fantastic UI (or other
> Linux-specific feature) present in Linux and attempting to say it should
> be in ReactOS as an "improvement" of some sort.
Did anything I say imply my opinion is contrary to that? Unless you read
it to mean something else than I intended, that's impossible.

The NT kernel just takes a different approach than the Linux kernel,
concequently the ReactOS project takes a different approach than the
Linux distros. Not any approach is "right" or "wrong", they're just
different approaches catering to different requirements.

It's sort of like the font rendering issue. Mac OS does pretty
rendering, but Microsoft chose rasterized/readable rendering. Neither is
better than the other, just a different approach to the problem.