[ros-dev] HP webOS goes opensource

Jakob Eriksson jakob at aurorasystems.eu
Wed Jan 18 14:14:34 UTC 2012

On January 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Adam <geekdundee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Although that would require recompiling the kernel just to
> install/uninstall drivers. I do understand loadable modules are
> supported but I'm not sure this applies to drivers. And if it does, I
> doubt it would apply to all drivers.

No recompile. It applies to all drivers for PCI and USB devices and huge bunch
of other things. Almost everything is loadable, including all routing tricks.

> job at distracting both of us from the issue I was talking about:

Very much.

>  If Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, admitted it is
> getting bloaty, then perhaps this means something for the direction the
> Linux kernel is going? I mean who cannot expect to see an increase of
> code size as new features are added. Particularly those which many
> won't be using.

Oh, true.

> I have indeed heard about uCLinux - I was suggesting it probably
> doesn't even use the mainline kernel, otherwise it would definitely be
> bigger than 100KB then.

uCLinux uses the mainline kernel. And is never as small as 100kb.
Embedded systems today using uCLinux has at least 2 megabytes of RAM,
often 8 or more.

The rest I am just cutting... what are we discussing here exactly?

If I go back to the topic somewhat:

As for HP WebOS on ReactOS - if some random guy wants to port it to
run atop of Reactos/Windows instead of Linux, good for him. I don't
see active ReactOS developers dropping everything they are doing to
do that instead, so you don't need to fear that.

best regards,
Jakob