[ros-general] Microsoft wants royalties for use of FAT

Waldo Alvarez wac at ghost.matcom.uh.cu
Mon Dec 8 15:13:45 CET 2003

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Richard Campbell wrote:

> ummm...okay, a new filesystem isn't illegal and it wouldn't piss off anyone.

I like the idea. Something compatible with NTFS patent free. But it surely
will piss off some people. I know lot's of people that simply do not use
NTFS because their old Win9x bootable disks can't read FAT. I have heard
them say. Sh.. Win2k locked my hard drive, I had to format the drive in
order to reinstall the system. :)). I think it could be solved if reactos
give you the choce to create such bootable disks able to recognize such
new filesystem. Also dual booting will be impossible without creating
other partitions and that's bad specially in the current stage of ROS
where people will start to try it. I beleive that the best choice is.

Let's keep with NTFS and FAT and with time design a new patent free
filesystem. If M$ complaints then we take away the drivers and ppl will be
able to get them from previous releases. The FSF did that with XMMS and
patents with MP3s.

Best Regards
Waldo