[ros-general] Icon submission

Mikko Tikkanen mikko.tikkanen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 17:12:10 UTC 2005

Good god...

"First off, judge yourself. Are you an experienced graphics
designer/artist with extensive icon experience? Have you ever made
icons included in other projects, such as at your day job, an open
source project, or similar? If you answered "no" to ANY of these
questions, please do not attempt to submit icons. Save yourself
humiliation, and save me the difficult task of turning you down. It's
not because I want to be mean, honestly. If you answered "yes" to all
of the above questions, please read on."

Is it just me or do anyone else get a _tad_ arrogant image from that?
This attitude has been a major setback, from the start, on my side and
it's starting to get under my skin again.

First of all, surely ROS isn't professional project, if it would be it
would have real funding etc. Besides, open source projects seldom are
for professionals only. In my point of view any kind of help would be
appreciated, but it seems that now only professionals can help.

Well, I think it's time to open up a bit.
mf: Last time, when I was about to lose it, you persistently you went
on (in forums and in IRC) how there is no "magical rules" and i.e. on
icon design and only rules applying are recognition and color use.
True; Recognition plays a cruicial role and it can be aided with
proper color use. False; There are other rules that need to be
considered, these are no less "magical" than say proper color use.

Well, for example, lets see your trashcan design:
http://www.mufunyo.net/reactos/trashcan.png
http://www.mufunyo.net/reactos/trashcan2.png

Now, can you tell me what's wrong with that desing? And in this case
I'm not referring to colors, shapes or anything like that...

-mikko