[ros-general] KDE for ReactOS

jwalsh at bigpond.net.au jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 17 01:40:19 UTC 2005

I must agree with Robert.
Many competent people have tried to make the GUI "all things to all people".
It's a problem which lies at the very foundation of all the popular  Open Source platforms, particularly Linux and Windows. I constantly keep reminding myself of that.
My interest in ROS came form the original FreeDOS and so far the ROS team has managed  to stay true to freeDOS founding principles.
Above all plug-in replaceability with the core elements of DOS.
Congratualtions so far.
In spite of overwhelming increase  in  feature demand, beginning with multasking, ROS is keeping up.
What made it easier for me to stick with ROS is the knowledge that, behind the scenes a lot of ground-breaking "core" work is being done by other Open Source groups.
For example: MinGW-Msys.
It is the most impressive so far.
They (if I understand them properly) have stepped back to the very roots of Unix and the Bourne (again) Shell i.e BASH.
>From that stable base they have taken the line that both Windows and Linux and some other proprietry platforms like Apple all rely on "C" at some point.
They too are faceing "Feature and Transaction pressure", but through good planning they are keeping up with ,and in some places overtaking, all of the rich platform giants.
It is really up to the "feature enthusiasts" to take more resonsibilty onto themselves.
That is:  rtfm, or do the  homework. How often have I forgotten that advice.
Unlike some other open groups, the ROS team is respectful and tolerant, even if they do get a little touchy.
Regards and rosuccess.

Justin