[ros-general] New to ReactOS

Ged gedmurphy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:19:00 UTC 2005

Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I have just migrated from Windows to Linux, and I am very curious
> about ReactOS.

What were your reasons for changing?

> [1] Is ReactOS built on a Unix core, or is it a new operating
> sytem from the ground up?

It's a complete operating system with it's own kernel. The operating
system design follows the Windows NT5 design, ultimately meaning it will
be 100% binary compatable with windows applications and drivers.
Something Linux does not, and will never be able to offer.

> [2] Can you dual boot with ReactOS and a Linux operating system like
> Debian? If you can, is there a place where I can find instructions on
> how to do so?

Yes, you can use a regular boot loader like grub  to boot ReactOS.
Details in our wiki.

> [3] Does an application that runs on Microsoft Windows have to be
> ported before it can be run on ReactOS? Can I try installing the
> program to see how it works?

No. The aim is full compatibility. You will be able to take any product
built for windows and install it onto ReactOS.

> Thanks,
>
> Scott Huey

Ged.