[ros-general] Re: [ros-dev] Gudie Lines for SVN Write access

Ged gedmurphy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:34:43 UTC 2005

Aleksey Bragin wrote:
> Well, Ged - do you know that sometime ago we were discussing the
> process of one commiter, who would review ALL patches from ALL devs.
> Certainly ReactOS wasn't ready for that decision back then, and IMHO
> this idea of 1 (one) committer per whole project is unacceptable.

I agree. especially with this project, I just don't think it would work.

> But for example for WINE - it's not a big problem, everyone is
> commiting patches which Alexandre reviews and commits to the tree.
> Linux - for years it was only Linus reviewing patches sent to him. I
> don't know if it's still this way, but anyway.

I'm not convinced it's the right way for the Wine project, but I don't
fully understand the in's and outs.
It makes sense for Linux though as it's used widespread commercially.
Maybe if ReactOS becomes as successful then tighter control will have to
be used on the main branch. However, that's in the future.

> But personally I'm not against giving more people commit-right. I'm
> for it, but candidate to devs should meet those minimum criterias.

I agree. But I think all the devs who are getting commit access now
deserve it, and are working within their capabilities to improve the
project.

> And, intention to give them commit access should be posted on
> mailing-list, and if no objections come within some days (week? a few
> days?) the person should be given commit-right.

Yes, I think this is a good idea and should be adopted with any new devs.

Ged.