[ros-general] OK, Time for a few words..

Lyrical Nanoha LyricalNanoha at dosius.net
Thu Oct 20 07:13:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, jwalsh at bigpond.net.au wrote:

> If I may add my 2 cents worth.
> I too have a spot in my heart for Linux Gui's, both KDE and Gnome.
> However the overheads are too high. So I have 3 three Thinkspads on the net.
> and a comfortable swivel chair.

Try QVWM, FVWM or XFCE 3.8 and you'll see that a window manager doesn't
have to be bloated.  All of those run nicely in 64 MB RAM and I have run
QVWM and FVWM successfully on 32.  KDE otoh strains and groans in 64 MB.

> Suffice to say I have now dumped Linux and gone back to Unix BSD and bash.

Well, BSD isn't legitimately called "UNIX" anymore, but still.  BSD tools
are lighter than GNU tools, and more efficient.  GNU itself is very
bloated.

-uso.