Issue 1. [Re: [ros-general] ROS-User-Issues]

Kevin Lawton kepla at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 26 09:33:41 UTC 2005

Hyper-text, or rather HTML, is a mark-up language which allows (amongst many other things) to embed links to external objects behind the content. This results in the ability to navigate from one web page to another and each to be displayed in whatever format is appropriate for that page, as the HTML carries the formatting information as well as the content itself. I would suggest that rather than being the 'backbone' of the internet it is the 'foundation' of web pages. Perhaps better to describe telecoms lines as the 'backbone' (though in webspeak this word has a more specific meaning).
I would say that the single factor which has had the largest positive effect on the growth of the internet is the fact that it is created for and by the people it serves, and not any external body. The actions of some politicians might have 'allowed' the internet to expend within their domain, but this is essentially a passive process. No one person or body has 'created' the internet, it has been grown by those who use it. Bodies like W3C (world wide web consortium) are basically an 'internal' body (they are part of the internet itself) who exist to give some focus to standards and organisation.
I would say that the only way in which Al Gore (or most other people) is 'behind' the internet is in the sense that he is not in front of it.
Worth remembering also that Al Gore's influence would only really extend over one country out of the 150 or so which are 'connected'.
Kevin.