|This page is probably outdated|
The information on this page might not be valid for the current state of ReactOS.
Arwinss is an alternative implementation of the core Win32 subsystem components. Technical information about implementation details is available at this page: Arwinss technical.
Before continuing, I'd recommend a separate build folder for building Arwinss. Otherwise you'll have to revert the Arwinss changes and rebuild ReactOS.
Checkout the arwinss branch (svn://svn.reactos.org/reactos/branches/arwinss), into a folder that can really be anywhere. Copy the arwinss folder and trunk.diff into your dedicated build folder. Apply trunk.diff and hope that it applies with no problem (if it doesn't, watch this page for an updated patch). Afterwards, you can compile using the normal build commands:
ninja ninja bootcd ninja livecd ninja hybridcd
This will build a copy of trunk with the alternate subsystem enabled.
If you want to build the winex11 module, you must first copy the lib/3rdparty/libX11/libX11.a file from your working copy to the obj-i386/lib/3rdparty/libX11 directory (creating it if it does not exist). This will fix the winex11.drv linking issues, and you can just type
to build this optional module.
Arwinss uses parts of the Wine architecture and parts of Windows NT architecture in appropriate places and in a good way. The overall call flow / architecture of Arwinss looks like this:
It consists of the following modules, one of them being optional (winex11.drv):
- arwinss/freetype – implements usermode font rendering (FreeType library, with small ReactOS glue), used by GDI32.DLL
- arwinss/client/user32 – implements USER API
- arwinss/client/gdi32 – implements GDI API
- arwinss/client/winent.drv/winent.drv – implements native graphics and user drivers
- arwinss/client/winex11.drv/ – implements X11 X-windows graphics and user drivers
- win32ss – implements kernel mode counter part of the native graphics driver, a Simple Window Manager (SWM) and a kernel mode USER server.
- win32csr – implements needed parts of the CSR subsystem along with handling user input
Most of the hacking happens in WINENT.DRV and WIN32K.SYS, with very rare fixes to the user32/gdi32 (mainly, because it's a tested Wine's code with only minor changes).
Convention for marking changes. C++ code comments (//) mean that the place has some special mark up for debugging. A typical use is for a
// FIXME: Something
These bugs would be fixed if Arwinss was ready (just a short list):
As one can see from these bug titles it mainly boils down to drastically improved user32 and gdi32 support.
Fix crash that prevents booting in VirtualBox
Fix installer/uninstaller crash (see bug #75)
4. Fix garbage on desktop after closing some apps (see bug #63)
Fix zoom and tabs in Firefox (see bug #76)
6. Fix "Window titles are shown as inactive (gray) while being active" (see bug #7)
Fix arwinss related program crashes (see bug #73))
Fix font mapping (see bug #57))
9. Fix interaction of windows in apps with few windows (see bug #32)
10. Fix low level input hooks (used for example in DosBox)
Unimplemented/Fixme that appear during work
1. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\userdrv.c:665) RosDrv_SetWindowStyle is UNIMPLEMENTED!
2. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\userdrv.c:642) RosDrv_SetWindowIcon is UNIMPLEMENTED!
3. (subsystems\win32\win32k_arwinss\wine\queue.c:814) TODO: Check if anyone is waiting on queue is missing!
4. (subsystems\win32\win32k_arwinss\eng\device.c:927) FIXME: DeviceName is NULL, trying display nr. 1 (TuxRacer)
5. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\userdrv.c:636) RosDrv_SetWindowRgn is UNIMPLEMENTED! (Reget)
6. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\userdrv.c:626) RosDrv_SetLayeredWindowAttributes is UNIMPLEMENTED! (Qutim)
7. err:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\gdidrv.c:353) ExtEscape for escape 8 is unimplemented! (SuperTux 0.3.3; ROS text screensaver)
8. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\clipboard.c:2440) NTDRV_CLIPBOARD_IsSelectionOwner is UNIMPLEMENTED! (AbiWord. Notepad++)
9. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\gdidrv.c:451) RosDrv_GetTextExtentExPoint is UNIMPLEMENTED!
10. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\gdidrv.c:609) RosDrv_RealizePalette is UNIMPLEMENTED!
11. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\gdidrv.c:959) RosDrv_UnrealizePalette is UNIMPLEMENTED!
12. fixme:(dll\win32\arwinss\winent.drv\gdidrv.c:433) RosDrv_GetNearestColor is UNIMPLEMENTED!
You can get the latest ARWINSS ISO here.