[ros-dev] New Webserver System

Emanuele Aliberti ea at iol.it
Sat Sep 3 11:39:22 CEST 2005

Technical answer: yes, it is (but requires a lot of work that currently
is better we focus on finishing what we begun).

Political answer: I proposed it years ago, perhaps even from the very
beginning (I don't remember when, I was given write access by Jason+Rex
at the begenning of 1999), but the reply from the developers was warm.
The reason is due, I guess, to two main reasons. a) the picture MS
marketing made for NT. It is not seens as a standalone core plus
subsystems, but as "Windows", a single object, a single product, a
single piece of code. This explains why even thinking of a subsystemless
ReactOS is, for many people,  unconceivable. But, even NT can run
without subsystems at all: see the tect mode recovery shell Russinovich
sells on Winternals. b) making reactos neutral, removing the points
where the design got polluted by win32-ism is expensive in both design
constraints and developers time.

N.B. As usual, political answers require much more words than technical
ones and the informative content is ofter lower.

Robert Köpferl wrote:

> sounds sexy
> But is this realizable?
>
> Emanuele Aliberti wrote:

[summary] win32 as an optional module [/summary]

--
:Emanuele Aliberti