[ros-dev] Universal Kernel?

art yerkes ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 12 09:24:28 CEST 2005

David Johnson wrote:

>Lets do it.
>
>On 9/11/05, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Rick Langschultz wrote:
>>

>>>I thought it would give reactos uniformity, and able to be able to
>>>translate PPC and other binaries with a slight hit on speed, but
>>>probably not much...
>>>On Sep 12, 2005, at 12:35 AM, David Johnson wrote:
>>>

>>This technology is called "QuickTransit" (it's used by MacOS X under the
>>name "Rosetta").
>>We could probably license it...
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Alex Ionescu

Let's work on something we won't have to spend millions of dollars
licensing.  If you're really interested, you might work on a bare metal
implementation icvm and an NT port to that "architecture".  It would
come very close to going the whole way to architecture neutrality.  With
some setup magic, you should be able to make it work on most PCI and
PCI-like systems.  You might start by working with kjk on the userland
port (ROX-U), because that will likely be able to run out of the box on
ICVM.