[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [gdalsnes] 18113:-reorderInsertXscendingOrder macro argument order and update uses

Thomas Weidenmueller w3seek at reactos.com
Wed Sep 28 17:27:22 CEST 2005

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

>>The alternative is: do the cleanup at every return, use goto or use
>>try/finally.
>>1)Cleanup at every return is madness. Most functions in ros do a large
>>amount of cleanup at each return and I sometimes spot mistakes where
>>one/more return misses some cleanup. Those errors are _hard_ to find.
>

> The functions are too large then. Use more smaller functions instead.

I agree with Nathan. Having tons of small functions often isn't a good
solution, especially when you'd have to create dozens of small helper
functions. That not just only generates slower code but also makes it
more difficult to get a picture of the algorithm used. I much more
prefer jumping to cleanup labels the way Nathan demonstrated it. Of
course I avoid it where it doesn't make sense.

- Thomas