[ros-dev] VOTE: List loop macros in ntoskrnl?

KJKHyperion hackbunny at reactos.com
Thu Sep 29 18:11:47 CEST 2005

Thomas Weidenmueller wrote:

Vote (normative):

>[*] Yes
>[ ] No

Rationale (informative): it's code that would have to be written in any
case (there's no other algorithm to traverse a list -> no added bloat),
it's the same code over and over again (easy to introduce errors by
retyping or copy-pasting), and it's code that cannot be implemented in
an inline function due to deficiencies of the C language. Once the macro
is proven correct, and possibly invariant ASSERTs are added, there will
be no need to ever debug it

In my opinion an overblown minor issue and a sterile debate with fear
tactics (appeal to authority, slippery slope, ad hominem) used in place
of logic in making arguments

Additional proposal: invariant ASSERTs in list manipulation routines,
especially the precondition that inputs are valid LIST_ENTRYs. Saved my
ass so many times