[ros-dev] Removing the autoregister feature from rbuild

Eric Kohl eric.kohl at t-online.de
Sun Jun 13 18:11:49 UTC 2010

Hi!

I want to remove the "autoregister" feature from rbuild. Let me explain
why I want to do this.

The "autoregister" feature in rbuild is used to automatically add dlls
to the syssetup.inf file which require an ole server registration. The
ole servers in these dlls will then be registered in the 2nd setup stage.

The gain of adding the ole server dlls to syssetup.inf automatically is
almost non existant as a developer needs to add an 'autoregister'
element to the rbuild file of the dll.
For example:
     <autoregister infsection="OleControlDlls" type="DllInstall" />
The corresponding line in the 'OleControlsDll' section of syssetup.inf is:
     11,,comctl32.dll,2

Please remember that the line above only needs to be added once.

Now, what do we loose by generating syssetup.inf automatically? Right
now it is only the comments in this file as it is parsed and serialized
by the inflib library.

OTOH, my future plans for syssetup.inf are severely hampered by the way
rbuild handles syssetup.inf because rbuild is not able to create or
modify a Unicode version of syssetup.inf. But, a Unicode version of
syssetup.inf is required in order to replace the hard-coded creation of
the start menu and desktop links in syssetup.dll by a configurable,
localizable and Windows compatible inf-based method.

And finally since Timo suggested to replace rbuild by cmake: The
autoregister feature would surely be one of the victims of this change.
So why not drop this almost useless feature now?

What do you think?

Regards,
Eric