[ros-dev] [GSOC] NTFS driver improvements

Pierre Schweitzer pierre at reactos.org
Tue Mar 1 22:28:30 UTC 2016

Hi Patrik,

Regarding NTFS, I'll sum up its current state in trunk, so that, it'll
give you some view on what's left to do.
It's purely RO only driver so far. It can read well all versions of NTFS
(mainly tested with v3.1, v1.2).
However, many key NTFS features are missing even for RO: journaling (we
totally ignore it so far), compression, encryption, hardlinks (more or
less around though).
What's already implemented: alternate data streams, reparse points, and
I may forgot others.

With all these points, you can already think to things to work on
(obviously, implementing all this is way beyond GSoC project scope).

But, in case this doesn't fit your expectations, just improving current
driver is a project in itself. It's slow, it doesn't use caching, it's
not thread-safe, many algorithms would benefit from reimplementation.

And finally, if you're... Brave, there's room for implementing RW
support :-).

I'd obviously be your mentor, as main ReactOS filesystems developer, and
as the guy who implemented most of the current NTFS driver. I can show
you the path in its obscure code!

Regards,