[ros-dev] GSoC 2016: USB 3.0 Support

Vardan Mikayelyan mvardan.dev at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 13:53:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

My name is Vardan, I am from National Polytechnic University of Armenia,
and this is my 5th year here. I'm student of 1st course of master
program. In parallel to studying I am contributing Linux USB stack and have
community accepted commits which are presented in Linux 4.5-rc4.

I saw ReactOS in GSoC organizations list, and it interested me as great
place to learn and grow as professional developer. I am interested in
driver development and especially I like USB stack. Because USB supports
many kinds of transfers and USB protocols are interesting by themselves. I
have investigated dwc2 driver in Linux Kernel. As you may know it is driver
for dual-role HS USB controller, so I am familiar with USB HCD and gadget
stacks.

I have looked into ReactOS's git repo and saw that there is completely
missing XHCI driver. In case of OHCI, UHCI and EHCI I saw  Michael Martin's
and Johannes Anderwald's drivers. As I understand one of them or someone
from this community will be the mentor for the XHCI project in terms of
GSoC 2016. For me is very interesting to work on NT platform, because till
now I had only Linux Kernel development practice.

I have few questions as probable applicant,

1. Should the deliverable XHCI driver support all kind of transfers?
2. How it will be tested and should it pass any kind of certification with
any XHCI host controller?
3. Should it have support for non transfer related features? I mean for
example LPM or Hibernation.
4. Will whole project entrusted to the one student or he'll be team member?

>From your reply I want to understand what are you expecting form applicant
and how can I fit to your expectations.

Thanks in advance,
Vardan.