[ros-dev] Problems with debug log

Hermès BÉLUSCA - MAÏTO hermes.belusca at sfr.fr
Tue Mar 22 12:14:45 UTC 2016

MSVC builds use WinDBG, that is, the debugger is part in windbg, and part in the kernel, and they communicate through data packets that goes through some communication channel, for example the serial port. The same thing happens if you try to debug a debug-build version of the Windows kernel. By the way, if you connect putty to the serial port of a virtual machine on which you try to boot a MSVC-built ReactOS, you’ll see some “garbage” data being displayed in Putty: that’s the data packets.

On the GCC builds contrary, we use an in-house built-in (and bugged btw.) kernel debugger that is completely inside the kernel, so it uses the serial port just to do its display.

Regards,

Hermès.