[ros-dev] Microsoft switched to Git

Colin Finck colin at reactos.org
Wed Feb 15 11:28:29 UTC 2017

Am 15.02.2017 um 12:04 schrieb Ged Murphy:
> That would allow devs that prefer SVN to mostly continue working as before, and give the devs who want to use git in a more traditional way the ability to branch off and work in a git style manner, then sync their changes back into 'trunk'.

Question is how is this "sync" going to happen?
When multiple developers work on Git "trunk" at the same time without
pulling before every commit, parallel history will be generated, which
is later merged automatically. This soon looks messy in Git history and
makes it hard to follow the chronologic stream of commits.

A strict rebase-only no-merge workflow would guarantee linear history
like before, but breaks many of the cool Git features. We may not even
be able to make use of GitHub Pull Requests..

Our situation is not really comparable to projects like Linux or WINE,
because they only have a single person sitting at the "trunk" to commit
patches, so parallel history cannot happen.

- Colin