[ros-dev] Microsoft switched to Git

Colin Finck colin at reactos.org
Thu Feb 16 08:37:59 UTC 2017

Am 16.02.2017 um 03:45 schrieb Zachary Gorden:
> I've used both git and svn in work environments. If all you do is git
> pull and git push, you end up with lots of noise in the commit log with
> git tracking every single merge because you don't rebase.

To give a picture of what he is talking about:

  http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170216/tfchxvni.png
  (random example repo on GitHub)

You see how parallel streams of history emerge with every new committer
when just using git commit, git pull and git push. Commits in the list
are not even in chronological order anymore.

Now what is the least painful way to avoid these automatic merges?
We don't want to make life harder for any Git user..

- Colin