[ros-dev] Office (Excel, Word...) 2010 on ReactOS

Hermès BÉLUSCA-MAÏTO hermes.belusca at sfr.fr
Wed Feb 22 13:35:29 UTC 2017

Hi !

Thanks for the notification James.

To answer Giannis’ question, I was asking the status because I did a ~= 2 hour long testing in “real-life” conditions of Word yesterday to see how many bugs (visual or not) were existing. I’ve mainly played with different tools in the ribbon bar, modified display of the document, inserted a screenshot taken with the word’s tool (which I was surprised to see that it did work great) etc etc… ,  and *many* spammy win32k fixme / err / etc… appeared, most of them that already appear with other software as well. I give here few examples:

-          (C:\Buildslave\Build_MSVC_x86\build\reactos\win32ss\user\ntuser\scrollbar.c:1216) err: FIXME: EnableScrollBar wSBflags 1 wArrows 0 Chg 0

This fixme spams a lot when word starts. I’ve checked the corresponding ntuser code, and the fixme seems to be there because the drawing code of the scrollbars (in user32/win32k) was not completely moved into win32k during the class rewrite. I’ve also noted code redundancies between the scroll.c file in user32 and the file of same name in ntuser. So this is one place where I can touch the code.

-          We also have many of these errors:

(C:\Buildslave\Build_MSVC_x86\build\reactos\win32ss\user\ntuser\message.c:1258) err: UserPostMessage: Invalid handle 0xBC65036C Msg 0x2a3!

(C:\Buildslave\Build_MSVC_x86\build\reactos\win32ss\user\ntuser\winpos.c:3309) err: NtUserSetWindowPos bad window handle!

(C:\Buildslave\Build_MSVC_x86\build\reactos\win32ss\user\ntuser\cursoricon.c:815) err: Trying to delete global cursor!

That may indicate someone (word, or us, within win32k calls) giving incorrect parameters to the functions (because e.g. some win32k object died in the meantime, or I don’t know). With Word, the appearance of these messages is accompanied by either slowdowns or the cursor that remain of the same shape when hovering on regions of word app window where it should change its shape, etc..

-          And other errors that we are used to see in our debug logs…

Plus there is the problem of mouse capture that appear when you try to resize word (or any other office app) window.

Therefore that’s why I was wondering in advance whether there were other people touching these similar win32k areas, before I’m potentially doing anything there.

Best,

Hermès