Real people dealing with Windows 8

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

fulea.stefan

Re: Real people dealing with Windows 8

Post by fulea.stefan »

The Windows 8 preview release becomes public:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... _ISO_en-us

Now we're having the resource that lets us construct personal opinions empiricaly.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

I've tested all of the publicly released builds and... I can't get used to Metro. I love minimalism, and partially Metro (but only as a design concept), but still I can't stand using Windows 8.

Sorry Microsoft, but even hybrid boot and all other amazing features is not enough for me to use it on desktop.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Perhaps the title of this thread should be "Real people dealing with Windows 8... and alcoholism"
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Pisarz wrote:Ok. I know, that lots of you here would kill me because I wrote this post, but...

I hate people with closed minds. Yes, I mean all of you, who installs all those "Classic Shell" crap to remove all the new features from only one reason - You're too lazy to adapt to the changes. I hate people who use USB mice instead of built in touchpad out of pure laziness.

I have tried using the touchpad in my notebook and netbook computers. I ended up changing things that I did not intend to change or ended up re-arranging things that I did not intend to move. :o I guess I am 'lazy' for not wanting to have to change back things every time I use the touchpad. :( I am just more accostumed to using my wireless mouse. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

tomleem wrote:I have tried using the touchpad in my notebook and netbook computers. I ended up changing things that I did not intend to change or ended up re-arranging things that I did not intend to move. :o I guess I am 'lazy' for not wanting to have to change back things every time I use the touchpad. :( I am just more accostumed to using my wireless mouse. :ugeek:
Some touchpads are easy to get accostumed to, for example, my friends Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo is really uncomfortable (although he got used to it) but I find those from MacBooks quite nice and easy to use. I had no problems with ones from HP laptops too.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Pisarz wrote:
tomleem wrote:I have tried using the touchpad in my notebook and netbook computers. I ended up changing things that I did not intend to change or ended up re-arranging things that I did not intend to move. :o I guess I am 'lazy' for not wanting to have to change back things every time I use the touchpad. :( I am just more accostumed to using my wireless mouse. :ugeek:
Some touchpads are easy to get accostumed to, for example, my friends Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo is really uncomfortable (although he got used to it) but I find those from MacBooks quite nice and easy to use. I had no problems with ones from HP laptops too.
I have two Acer Aspire Ones netbooks and an Acer Aspire 3050 notebook computer. When using the touchpad, the cursor would move to locations I never intended it to move. I also have a Gateway notebook computer that had similar problems. I have an older Thinkpad that has an 'eraser head' cursor control device that was really easy to use. I guess it depends on the company making the netbook or notebook computer. :geek:

I have an Acer Aspire One with Win 7 starter. It is not faster than my older Acer Aspire One with Win XP. It would be neat to run ReactOS on them both. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Stead

Post by Stead »

Hrmm

I used windows 8 consumer preview for a couple of days, couldnt get on with it, in the end found a site that some guy had made to use the windows 7 explorer in 8, all of a sudden it became usable!
I let my partner have a go at windows 8, she just got angry pretty quickly and gave up....
I did however like the metro news app

Very impressed at how fast it is tho!

I will say this, I don't understand how anyone can like xp over windows 7, in my experiance 7 runs better on older hardware, and well, all hardware, Find using a dual core atom pc with 7 is much more enjoyable than using the same pc with xp. (What I don't get even more is those who like xp for being fast, hate 7 for being slow??? but seem to forget that windows 2000 is much faster than xp....(which in my heart is still my fav windows, just hardware is to modern to justify using it these days)

For me one of the biggest things I disliked about 8 over 7 was the lack of eye candy, I know lots of people claim it slows down the computer, but seriously, anyone who had a gpu in their computer than supports aero must be crazy to think the fancy shinyness of it all slows it down. Show the same computer to someone who isn't used to modern os, and I bet you each one will say windows 7 is better based on appearance alone.

ah well, since lots of people are ranting here thought i'd add mine :p
alexei

Post by alexei »

Pisarz wrote:Ok. I know, that lots of you here would kill me because I wrote this post, but...
I hate people with closed minds. Yes, I mean all of you, who installs all those "Classic Shell" crap to remove all the new features from only one reason - You're too lazy to adapt to the changes. I hate people who use USB mice instead of built in touchpad out of pure laziness.
I would just pity you. Some people just lack self-respect to the extent they are ready to do whatever forced to do. You'd be a perfect slave :lol:

What really worthe hatred is totalitarism ("where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible" [WIKIPEDIA]). Let's re-phrase where MS recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private usage of personal computers wherever feasible.
alexei

Post by alexei »

Stead wrote:For me one of the biggest things I disliked about 8 over 7 was the lack of eye candy
To some extent it may be considered hijacking the thread, but let's talk just a bit about "eye candy". Personally, I can't stand it.
I disable all anymations, shadows, rouded corners, smooth scrolling, and all other non-productive crap that (how can I explain it?) sends wrong signals and disrupts my concentration. How can you enjoy seeing moving objects (not moved by you) on the screen in front of you when you work?
I could never understand how people manage to concentrate on the road having some fancy stuff hanging from their rear-wiev morror. Can you explain wha't the advantage of "eye candy"? Does it help you work better, faster, or what?
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i have to agree, windows areo is crap, if it had windows xp theme or at least 98 themes then your cooking with gas :)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Reminds me of when high resolution color video started to come out. There was all kinds of crazy use and abuse of color. We have this awesome new technology so we have to use it, right? :D
milon

Post by milon »

I happen to enjoy aero on my Win7 pc. It's aesthetically pleasing and I like the transparency options.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

To all those "eye-candy" haters - smilies, colors, any images on this phpBB forum are only eye candy, that slows down your connection and uses up space that could display something more useful - do you think this serves as sufficient prove that "eye-candy" is a personal opinion and not something universally accepted? Icons and GUI were at some point in history seen as useless eye-candy that only hinders work too. I believe there are still CLI maniacs that will write a 4-line complicated command in 5 minutes to compress something with WinRAR that I can click out in 15 seconds.

Returning to the topic of real people (e.g. me) working with Win8, I'd like Aero with square corners and without transparent window titles. After I get my hands on Win8, I'll install a few programs that
- disable Metro start screen, charm bars, lock screen, account synchronisation
- will boot right into Desktop
- will return Win7 menu+start button
- will return the desktop gadgets introduced in Vista
- disable the new App Smartscreen
(some of the stuff I'll do without help of programs, but let's just have a single list there)

Then I'll have something like improved Win7 with
- square corners, non-transparent window titles that use up less system resources
- improved copy/move dialog that stacks all operation into a single window and allows pausing
- optimised kernel
- will find out what's more after installing

So in Win8 I basically disable the revolutionary new functionality to get something like improved Win7, because that is EXACTLY what I want ;) If someone else likes to touch his desktop PC display or use 2000dpi mouse to click on 300x300 icons, no problem, but my productivity will thrive the best as I have previously described.
alexei wrote:I would just pity you. Some people just lack self-respect to the extent they are ready to do whatever forced to do. You'd be a perfect slave :lol:
That's not very civil (rule #1) you know. Maybe he just means you can't be entrenched in your own opinion in such dynamically evolving environment (I guess you're OK to being "slave" to a computer as well as the rest of us, because that change was made during 30 years and not 30 months).

EDIT: removed a part of what seemed to be a halfway finished sentence, heh... EDIT2: improved win7 with SQUARE corners
Last edited by Black_Fox on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stead

Post by Stead »

alexei wrote:
Stead wrote:For me one of the biggest things I disliked about 8 over 7 was the lack of eye candy
To some extent it may be considered hijacking the thread, but let's talk just a bit about "eye candy". Personally, I can't stand it.
I disable all anymations, shadows, rouded corners, smooth scrolling, and all other non-productive crap that (how can I explain it?) sends wrong signals and disrupts my concentration. How can you enjoy seeing moving objects (not moved by you) on the screen in front of you when you work?
I could never understand how people manage to concentrate on the road having some fancy stuff hanging from their rear-wiev morror. Can you explain wha't the advantage of "eye candy"? Does it help you work better, faster, or what?
I find it more pleasing to the eye, just, nicer to work with.

I don't think more stuff is better, but when what is infront of me looks good, it helps, I find windows 8 to be ugly and that distracts me from doing what I was supposed to be doing, windows 7 style seems seemless with the way I interact with the computer.
I am by no means a rich person, currently out of work, yet I drive a car that I find asthetically pleasing to the eye (the cabin around the driver that is), and part of the reason for this is that when driving I prefer to be in a comfortable enviroment, I like things to match, I personally never understood why people install aftermarket car radio's with blue lights all over the place as for me thats eye candy thats out of place and distracting, but when it 'fits' in, for me its better. Some cars i've driven I wouldn't want as my own as I find a bland ugly enviroment is rarther depressing.
I can't say i've noticed anything moving around distracting me with eye candy turned on, and I love the live preview window on the taskbar which some consider eye candy I guess as its not needed, if eye candy does distract the user then I feel thats a bad thing, but if its seemless, which to me in 7 it is, I feel its a good thing. I found XP to be distracting with big round buttons, but otherwise everything i've welcomed

I have to question how smooth scrolling can distract? for me, jumpy text/images is far more distracting than being able to smoothly scroll and continue reading
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Stead wrote:I have to question how smooth scrolling can distract?
It depends on the implementation. In some places smooth scrolling can help you visually keep your place. But if you have to wait for an excessive amount of time while it scrolls then it can get distracting. If I wanted to wait on my computer I would still be using my 286.

And the only use I have ever found for blue LEDs is as a measure of how retarded someone is. Some of those are so bright they can damage your eyes. Blue LEDs should be illegal.