If microsoft goes out of busniess?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dave3434

If microsoft goes out of busniess?

Post by Dave3434 »

what will happen if microsoft goes out of busniess will there products become free and open? the idea just came to me.
jonaspm

Re: If microsoft goes out of busniess?

Post by jonaspm »

Maybe another company would buy it
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

jonaspm wrote:Maybe another company would buy it
That would be likely, though I don't expect Microsoft to fall any time soon. Some may start to do dirty disassembly and stuff during the "limbo" period, but that would be unwise, since new owners could rise up and sue everyone.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

that's missedup.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Dave3434 wrote:will there products become free and open?
No.

This has happened over, and over with many smaller OSes. The code remains locked up in some vault with a few lawyers protecting whatever "intellectual property" there is, even after it is worthless, in hopes of making a few bucks.

A good example of this is BeOS. When they went out of business the source code went with them. Now Haiku OS is attempting to clone it an open-source way just like ReactOS.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i know microsoft is evil but they do have to give up something?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

And why is Microsoft evil? And why do they need to give up anything? Ownership of the Windows source code is theirs after all.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

There are a lot of reasons why Microsoft is evil. :) But that is completely not relevant.

Current copyright laws give whoever owns code the privileged of sitting on it for all eternity, and striking down any violators. If you want to try and reform copyright laws, please be my guest.

It blows my mind how many people think Microsoft is going to be magically generous and do things like open source their code, or permit users to continue activating Windows XP after they drop support. They have zero obligation to do anything like that. And in the few times they have, they are doing it for some larger reason, not because they are being generous. Of course, Microsoft wants you to think all that so you feel nice and secure even as they tighten your shackles.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i agree with someguy anyway it's just a thought it's a shame they can't give up windows 2000 or even xp sonce they don't care for those products anymore it's like taking something that still useful and throw it in the trash, just because it's old. i hate microsoft not just because there closed source but because there products are over priced and your able to install the copy of windows on more then one pc. when vista came on the scence i was not impressed and then 7 came along i got the same impression. and now 8 is worse.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

and having to pay for software that's not fully yours to modify and use in anyway you want is something i can't agree with.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Dave3434 wrote:i agree with someguy anyway it's just a thought it's a shame they can't give up windows 2000 or even xp sonce they don't care for those products anymore it's like taking something that still useful and throw it in the trash, just because it's old. i hate microsoft not just because there closed source but because there products are over priced and your able to install the copy of windows on more then one pc. when vista came on the scence i was not impressed and then 7 came along i got the same impression. and now 8 is worse.
and having to pay for software that's not fully yours to modify and use in anyway you want is something i can't agree with
Then why are you here? We all in some way like Microsoft product(s), that's why we want to mimick them. There are many better suited forums where you can all together bash Microsoft all day happily :-)
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

Windows 2000 is not some old product that was replaced with XP or Vista or Windows 7. Many of the core concepts, and actual code, are still present in current Windows home and server versions. If they release the entire codebase, all of the code, including the stuff that powers the current versions of Windows, becomes open under whatever license they choose. Only the new things added would remain proprietary.

And, since Microsoft has a tendency to acquire companies, Microsoft tends not to own all of its technologies. A lot of the code is patented by some company or other, and Microsoft has non-transferrable rights to those patents under some sort of agreement. Or is in a lawsuit over it right now. So they don't even own all of the property you are asking them to give away.

My favorite example is the Visual Studio C++ stdlib headers. With VC 5.0, they were licensed from DinkumWare. I don't think they ever had permission to release updates with VC 6.0 and the 6 service packs. So thinks like <vector> and <deque> were broken when using VS 5 and 6 compilers, and they had no legal way to fix it other than pointing users to Dinkumware's site.

Intellectual property law is very complicated, especially for a company that makes acquisitions. As we saw in the SCO debacle, what IP rights get transferred during a purchase can be vague enough to warrant a years long trial to clear up ownership.

If Microsoft goes out of business, all of their IP would be in limbo (orphaned) until it either expires or is bought. And the price tag would be a hefty one indeed.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i'm not trying to bash anyone reactos free and open microsoft is not.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I think it would be a great opportunity for other companies to come in and fill the void left by Microsoft. :geek:

Perhaps IBM could buy Microsofts software? ;)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
alexei

Post by alexei »

Then why are you here? We all in some way like Microsoft product(s), that's why we want to mimick them. There are many better suited forums where you can all together bash Microsoft all day happily :-)
Making products we like does not entitle Microsoft to be liked. 1st of all people pay MS, so they are at least even (taking in account MS monopoly de facto, MS rips people off). We all know MS does not work for people, but for its profits. Its policies are often (to say it softly) not good to us. Why shouldn't we bash it :?: