ReactOS selling computers in stores

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS selling computers in stores

Post by EmuandCo »

Windows 8 is a Touch OS, on Touch Devices its wonderful.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

EmuandCo wrote:Windows 8 is a Touch OS, on Touch Devices its wonderful.
I agree, it is great for computers with a touch screen, such as tablets and laptops with touch screens. :geek:

I have Windows 7 at work on my work computer and it is really nice. I have Windows 7 limited on a netbook and it isn't so good. I think Microsoft should have Win 7 for desktop and laptop computers and have Windows 8 for tablets and other similar computers. :ugeek:

I read about booting some computers from a flash card/sd card. It would be neat to have the operating system work from a SD card where one could upgrade or change operating systems by just changing the SD card. (just thinking out loud). 8-)

I think ReactOS will be an excellent replacement for those who want an alternative to Win XP instead of switching to a newer operating system by Microsoft. I still - every so often - try to imagine what that store would look like if it became a real 'brick and mortar' store. There are times I just like to design something even though I might never get it built. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

hbelusca wrote:
Dave3434 wrote:
by Linuxgamer94 » 13 Jul 2013 04:50
Do I even have to mention the look of ROS, it is old looking and most people want some thing that looks like Vista or at least has transpericy
not true there are few people who like the w2000/xp look including myself.
Aero is just some bloated thing. I remind you that an OS is something that lets useful programs run on your computer. The rest is just futility.
Yet Y.org has it built in. I know that is a Unix thing, but it shows that it can be done and not be bloated. Now if some one walked up to me and ask what OS should I use React OS or Hiaku, I would say Hiaku in a heart beat. It is farther alone then React OS and it is still in Alpah and that is how devlopement should be done, so seriously stop hating on the people who want to port over Linux software to React OS.Haiku is much more stable and Linux programers can port their programs with ease and they don't have a hoitle community, and that is why haiku has more programs and React OS is broke.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

Post by Linuxgamer94 » 01 Sep 2013 03:34

hbelusca wrote:

Dave3434 wrote:

by Linuxgamer94 » 13 Jul 2013 04:50
Do I even have to mention the look of ROS, it is old looking and most people want some thing that looks like Vista or at least has transpericy

not true there are few people who like the w2000/xp look including myself.

Aero is just some bloated thing. I remind you that an OS is something that lets useful programs run on your computer. The rest is just futility.

Yet Y.org has it built in. I know that is a Unix thing, but it shows that it can be done and not be bloated. Now if some one walked up to me and ask what OS should I use React OS or Hiaku, I would say Hiaku in a heart beat. It is farther alone then React OS and it is still in Alpah and that is how devlopement should be done, so seriously stop hating on the people who want to port over Linux software to React OS.Haiku is much more stable and Linux programers can port their programs with ease and they don't have a hoitle community, and that is why haiku has more programs and React OS is broke.
i don't think that's true at all :(
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There are generally two types of software from a portability perspective. One type is built on top of abstractions that hide the nature of the underlying platform, usually a library of some sort, and so porting of the application is usually fairly straightforward assuming the underlying library used has already been ported or is trivial to port. Then there is the type that was written specifically against a particular platform and relies heavily on that platform's underlying architecture and features. Porting this type would require a complete rewrite to the point where it's not a port, it's a whole new program in its own right. Many of the programs you keep suggesting be ported fall into this later category, which makes the existence of the programs on their native platform irrelevant to the ease of getting a similar program onto ReactOS/Windows. The existing code is for the most part useless since it would not work on ReactOS/Windows so there is essentially nothing to port.
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

Z98 wrote:There are generally two types of software from a portability perspective. One type is built on top of abstractions that hide the nature of the underlying platform, usually a library of some sort, and so porting of the application is usually fairly straightforward assuming the underlying library used has already been ported or is trivial to port. Then there is the type that was written specifically against a particular platform and relies heavily on that platform's underlying architecture and features. Porting this type would require a complete rewrite to the point where it's not a port, it's a whole new program in its own right. Many of the programs you keep suggesting be ported fall into this later category, which makes the existence of the programs on their native platform irrelevant to the ease of getting a similar program onto ReactOS/Windows. The existing code is for the most part useless since it would not work on ReactOS/Windows so there is essentially nothing to port.
Oh, so you are realy sure about that. How about Kings office, or Vissualboy advance, songbird, FreeDink, VLC, Libre Office, gnome sollitare, supertuxkart, dolphin, virtualbox, netsurf, opencity, xchat, chromium, midori, open GL, openshot, kdenlive, open jdk runtime, virtualbox,, and more.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Aren't all of those programs designed to be portable? In fact, weren't most of those programs ported by the authors? As Z98 said, it's trivial to port portable software, and non-trivial to port non-portable software.

You know, you admit to not being a programmer, but reject the claims of experienced programmers when they try to teach you.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
tomleem

12 Reasons To Start Your Store with Shopify (and Save 25%)

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps create a virtual store with Shopify? :D
http://gizmodo.com/12-reasons-to-start- ... 1426867870
Perhaps not the only way to sell online but seems interesting.

Of course to sell online, would have to find a company that pre-installs ROS to sell online. Perhaps one could sell more than just computers with ROS/ on them. :geek: Perhaps make ReactOS a fashion statement. :roll: It would be like 'Nerd-stroms' (perhaps a name for a 'brick and mortar' store 'geek-ware'? :D )? :lol:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Androidland? perhaps ReactOSLand? :)

Post by tomleem »

Android now has a retail store. I believe it is in India and called Androidland.
http://www.saholic.com/androidland
[ external image ]

Perhaps an inspiration for a ReactOS retail store called ReactOSLand? :lol:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:Oh, so you are realy sure about that. How about Kings office, or Vissualboy advance, songbird, FreeDink, VLC, Libre Office, gnome sollitare, supertuxkart, dolphin, virtualbox, netsurf, opencity, xchat, chromium, midori, open GL, openshot, kdenlive, open jdk runtime, virtualbox,, and more.
you mention "virtualbox" twice.
milon

Post by milon »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:
Z98 wrote:There are generally two types of software from a portability perspective. One type is built on top of abstractions that hide the nature of the underlying platform, usually a library of some sort, and so porting of the application is usually fairly straightforward assuming the underlying library used has already been ported or is trivial to port. Then there is the type that was written specifically against a particular platform and relies heavily on that platform's underlying architecture and features. Porting this type would require a complete rewrite to the point where it's not a port, it's a whole new program in its own right. Many of the programs you keep suggesting be ported fall into this later category, which makes the existence of the programs on their native platform irrelevant to the ease of getting a similar program onto ReactOS/Windows. The existing code is for the most part useless since it would not work on ReactOS/Windows so there is essentially nothing to port.
Oh, so you are realy sure about that. How about Kings office, or Vissualboy advance, songbird, FreeDink, VLC, Libre Office, gnome sollitare, supertuxkart, dolphin, virtualbox, netsurf, opencity, xchat, chromium, midori, open GL, openshot, kdenlive, open jdk runtime, virtualbox,, and more.
I'm confused by your approach, LinuxGamer. Z98 said there's two categories. If you disagree with him, you really should refute his idea. Just listing software titles doesn't make him wrong - at best you're only giving examples of software from one of the two categories. Either agree with him or show him (and us) why he's wrong. He's not saying you can't port software; he's saying it would not be worthwhile to attempt porting software that isn't built for portability.
Last edited by milon on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomleem

Off Topic in the Off Topic?

Post by tomleem »

This is weird. It from being about 'ReactOS selling computers in stores' to other things. The Off Topic thread went off topic. :roll:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Intel Is Opening Its Own Pop-Up Stores For the Holidays

Post by tomleem »

It seems even Intel is opening a retail store, a pop-up store. 8-)
http://gizmodo.com/intel-is-opening-its ... 1464260232
[ external image ]
:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

mini store for mini operating system?

Post by tomleem »

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/coca-cola ... kes-157669
Here is a mini kiosk to sell mini Cokes. Perhaps an inspiration for a store selling ReactOS?
[ external image ]
:lol:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy