Open source MacOS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Open source MacOS

Post by cruonit »

MacOS is based on FreeBSD / NetBSD so you "just need" the API

http://www.darlinghq.org/

ps. this is just an offtopic
Last edited by cruonit on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzoMD

Re: Open source MacOS

Post by gonzoMD »

cruonit wrote:MacOS is based on FreeBSD / NetBSD
It's based on Darwin, not BSD
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

MacOS X is based in Darwin which is based on BSD
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
milon

Post by milon »

According to the website:
www.darlinghq.org wrote:Darling is a translation layer that allows you to run unmodified OS X binaries on Linux. In its nature, it is similar to the well-known Wine project.
I don't know much about BSD, but I thought it was completely separate from OS/X and Linux.

Regardless, what's the connection for ReactOS?
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

milon wrote:Regardless, what's the connection for ReactOS?
Answer:
cruonit wrote:ps. this is just an offtopic
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

milon wrote:According to the website:
www.darlinghq.org wrote:Darling is a translation layer that allows you to run unmodified OS X binaries on Linux. In its nature, it is similar to the well-known Wine project.
I don't know much about BSD, but I thought it was completely separate from OS/X and Linux.
They are completely separate, but supporting Linux gives you almost trivial support for BSD, they share a lot of code in the user land and a common, standardized interface for C programming. Both are POSIX compliant. They both use the same graphics systems, +/- some pieces of infrastructure in the video drivers (FreeBSD is lacking a bit in the KMS area, but is becoming up to date).

However, Darling wouldn't be quite the same as a free implementation of Mac OSX, as the latter uses a different graphics server called Quartz, probably makes some assumptions on the kernel model it uses and stuff.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

Honestly the best and closest thing to Mac OS that is free (although it's not based in BSD but in Linux) is Pear. You can visit there website, which is: http://pearlinux.fr/

On a sidenote, it seems that they were "bought out" by someone else, however a quick Google search will give you the ISOs and you'll be able to see exactly how they are the same (design, feeling, and almost software wise).
FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

KnownSyntax wrote:Honestly the best and closest thing to Mac OS that is free (although it's not based in BSD but in Linux) is Pear. You can visit there website, which is: http://pearlinux.fr/

On a sidenote, it seems that they were "bought out" by someone else, however a quick Google search will give you the ISOs and you'll be able to see exactly how they are the same (design, feeling, and almost software wise).
Looking like Mac OS is not the same as being Mac OS compatible. Darling actually aims to provide the runtime you need to run Mac software.
oswetto

Post by oswetto »

Darwin is macos + wine. In wine there are more fix by ReactOS develover. Darwin(or darlinghq) works thanks to the work of developers ReactOS :D
oldman

Post by oldman »

Could this thread be deleted from General Discussion and Feedback now that it has been moved to Off Topic, please.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

KnownSyntax wrote:Honestly the best and closest thing to Mac OS that is free (although it's not based in BSD but in Linux) is Pear. You can visit there website, which is: http://pearlinux.fr/
As far as I know, PearOS based some of its looks off elementaryOS, so you may as well look into that during the ascension of PearOS into a commercial product :)
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

oswetto wrote:Darwin is macos + wine. In wine there are more fix by ReactOS develover. Darwin(or darlinghq) works thanks to the work of developers ReactOS :D
¿?
Darwin is a bare bones OS, it's a bit more than the XNU kernel. It's the base OS behind the real Mac OSX. Darling is a runtime, and a separate project, for running Mac OSX apps in other platforms. WINE doesn't enter in the picture here. WINE is only named for an analogy, as Darling is to Mac OSX what WINE is to Windows.
middings

Post by middings »

I like the Project Status page at DarlingHQ.org. The page gives first-time visitors a quick look at Darling's current capabilities. The page's screen shots illustrated Darling's primitive state very effectively. I believe the Project Status page helps newcomers form realistic expectations of the project.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

middings wrote:I like the Project Status page at DarlingHQ.org. The page gives first-time visitors a quick look at Darling's current capabilities. The page's screen shots illustrated Darling's primitive state very effectively. I believe the Project Status page helps newcomers form realistic expectations of the project.
Well, the Darling project is months or a few years old at most. It's reasonable that they are not too advanced.

PS: For some reason, the website never works for me.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

I wonder if the Hackintosh project and Tonymacx86 know about this?